A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 11 May 2016 7:50 pm

KevB

First Fyne boat build - suggestions please?

Hello everyone,

I have found this Fyne boat website through the search (G).  I would really like to build a DIY boat.  Which would you suggest as a first kit project?

I am pretty handy and have plenty of workshop space, but have never built a boat.  I want a personal challenge and some fun - no particular end use in mind.

I have spotted Sassafras 12 and Skerry.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated before I place a kit order.

Thanks

#2 13 May 2016 12:11 pm

CJ

Re: First Fyne boat build - suggestions please?

I’m just about to finish my first boat, a Shearwater Sport kayak.

I chose to start with a stitch-and-glue kayak since I assumed that would be the easiest building technique to start learning. Assembling the panels was pretty straight forward, though I had to spend some time (and muscle power) to pull them together.
Applying fiberglass and epoxy has been the main challenge, where I have failed and learned most. It is very important to do proper epoxy work, using just enough epoxy and applying it evenly. If not, sanding will be a huge task. I have used too much epoxy and have too many spots where the fiberglass hasn’t really attached to the plywood, possibly because of too high (or rising) temperature when curing (and poor craftsmanship). Luckily the deck looks fine but the hull must be painted. It’s not good enough for varnishing. Anyway, I’m happy with the result and think the kayak eventually will look good.

I have spent some time on this forum and found useful hints for my next build. So I’m confident my next boat will be even better. I will for sure build another boat, probably a hybrid kayak to try strip-building. Hopefully the woodworking part will be bigger than the quite sticky epoxy part of it, I would appreciate that!

Good luck with your boat! It is fun!

#3 13 May 2016 10:17 pm

DerekD

I reckon that all of the kits are suitable for a first time builder, some might just take a little longer.

Read the instructions or plans a couple of times so that you are clear in what you are doing, then follow the instructions step by step.
If anything is unclear in your mind simply contact Fyne boats who give great support or use the forum here.

Boat choice will depend on your personal preferences. Do you want something as light and portable as possible to throw on the roof rack or something bigger that might be better suited to a trailer. Will others be in the boat with you or will you be taking a load of camping kit.

Be aware that epoxy can be messy, I wore overalls that could virtually stand on their own at the end of the project, most of my tools have a coating of epoxy, even my motorbike ended up with splashes of epoxy. I have no idea how that happened other than it was in the garage where I built the boat. 

Pick a boat and build it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed no matter which you choose

#4 14 May 2016 6:23 am

wilddog

I was a first time builder too. Hmm'd and haaa'd, bought a Skerry kit and never looked back.

Fun to build and fun to sail. What's not to like?

Built a Skerry!

#5 15 May 2016 8:34 am

Yambo

I think it boils down to what sort of boat do you want and what do you intend to use it for.

I wanted a good rowing boat, (I like rowing and have a rowing machine in the house) but I also fancied the idea of using the wind a bit. Like wilddog, I built a Skerry. It's a good first time build, a great rowing boat and a capable sailer unlike the owner. I haven't got a workshop and when I started I only had about 10 clamps.

I still haven't got a workshop but the clamp total is considerably higher. I've just finished a Chesapeake 17LT and to be honest, I'm glad I built the Skerry first. Both boats were built from plans. The kits will be a doddle!  big_smile

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Last edited by Yambo (15 May 2016 8:38 am)

#6 19 May 2016 4:53 pm

KevB

Thank you all for the replies. Encouraging comments as the builds do not seem too hard, especially from a kit.

Thinking about it, a rowing boat would be a good start.  I used to row a lot when younger and it would be good to do some again.  Though it would also be good to keep the option of adding sails in the future. 

So I think Skerry is probably the best way to go.  It also looks pretty, judging from the photos, so that is a bonus!  I will report back when I place an order.

Thanks

#7 21 May 2016 6:57 pm

David Wood

I think the Skerry is a good choice. It was on my shortlist before deciding on the Sassafras 16.  Clinker-style boats are strong, stable and aesthetically pleasing. 
Incidentally, I opted the Sassafras as it does have the option of rowing.

#8 21 May 2016 9:32 pm

KevB

David Wood wrote:

I think the Skerry is a good choice. It was on my shortlist before deciding on the Sassafras 16.  Clinker-style boats are strong, stable and aesthetically pleasing. 
Incidentally, I opted the Sassafras as it does have the option of rowing.

Thank you David.  But Skerry is first and foremost a rowing boat, or so I believe?  That is what I want.  Other options (sail and motor) are nice to have future options.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

#9 21 May 2016 11:01 pm

David Wood

It is indeed, Kev, and from what you have said, I'm 100% sure that you've made the right choice - and you've kept your options open, as it lends itself to other uses.  It was for quite similar reasons I chose the Sassafras - I wanted to paddle solo and with a friend on rivers, but with the option to row on lakes. Had rowing been my first priority, the Skerry would have been the choice. (In fact part of me is itching to build a second boat. smile )

#10 21 May 2016 11:19 pm

KevB

Thank you David.  I should put in my order soon. Enough research!

Board footer