A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 7 Apr 2016 7:37 am

wilddog

Pre-season fixes

Chums,

Well here we are at the beginning of my second season with our lovely Skerry Saffron.

This time around I have some minor maintenance to do before she goes back in the water. The shores around the Exe and on the club's landing area are quite stoney, so I have some scuffs and scratches in the hull paintwork I'd like to repair. I have a feeling that simply painting over these might not be enough and while sanding down and repainting might be the best answer, I can see that being a longer job than may be necessary.

Does anyone have any cunning tips?

Thanks

Andy

Built a Skerry!

#2 7 Apr 2016 9:55 pm

DerekD

Re: Pre-season fixes

I had a nasty score to the hull caused during a recovery onto the trailer in rough weather when the metal mount of the rollers gouged the bow.  I let it dry out, "painted" the gouge with a resin mix to soak into the wood then filled the gouge with a thick resin mix (while the first application was still wet) using a plastic squeegee

Much the same as body filler on a car!

With a little care no sanding will be needed and once painted you will struggle to find it again.

#3 8 Apr 2016 8:29 am

Paul
Employee

Derek's solution is the best one.  Any very large holes can be fill using his method and then an epoxy filled fabric placed over it.  This should not be necessary in most cases but if at the start of your third year you find marks in the same place, showing that this is the vulnerable location, you could apply some fabric to avoid having to do it again in the fourth year.

#4 8 Apr 2016 3:16 pm

wilddog

Thanks both.

I am not quite sure that the scratches on the hull are quite that deep, but I will have a proper inspection this weekend. I am fairly certain though that I have not gone through the fiberglass to the timber below!

Will report back!

Andy

Built a Skerry!

Board footer