A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 22 Dec 2013 6:34 pm

wilddog

skerry sail rig

Firstly..."hello". I am new to the forum, so please forgive any daft q's (of which I am sure there will be many!)

I have just received the plans for the Skerry and while I now consider my nest step (kit or build from plans) I have been jumping ahead of myself and wondering about how to rig the boat when she is built.

Unlike some, I rather like the look of the sprit sail, but I am also mindful of the need for something that will easy to reef on the hoof. I note that the sprit can be 'scandalised', by loosening the snotter and removing, but with the peak tied in as in the plans, I can foresee much flailing about with this method.

I was wondering if alternative rigs might work for this boat. I know the lug sail is available. Does this not require a round rather then square mast profile though?

I am interested to find out other rigging options.

Built a Skerry!

#2 2 Jan 2014 3:33 pm

Paul
Employee

Re: skerry sail rig

Wilddog,

Sorry about not responding earlier but I had hoped that customers with experience of the rigs would be able to help you.

Whichever rig you can have your preferred profile for the mast.

The sprit rig is simple to use and with only a little practice it is not hard to control the boat.  It does not flog as much as you might imagine when it is slackened off.  It is also possible to fit a halyard if you prefer not to tie the sail on.

The lug rig is powerful, simple and familiar.

Some builders have fitted a sloop rig but since I have not tried this I am not able to give an opinion about how well it works.  I suspect that it will give a little weather helm.

I have appended some photographs.

Sprit
skerry_sailing.jpg
skerryweb03.jpg

Lug
twoskerries.jpg
Two_lug-rig-Skerries.jpg

Sloop
P1050025b.jpg
RG1b.jpg
SkerrySloopE.jpg

#3 15 Jan 2014 1:35 pm

wilddog

Re: skerry sail rig

Thanks Paul!

Am sitting in waiting for the Skerry kit to arrive today...!

Andy

Built a Skerry!

Board footer