A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 25 Jan 2024 1:44 pm

SimonR

Wherry - modify bigriver frame to fixed seat "sea oars"

Hi, my first post. Please by patient with my semi-skilled ignorance!

I'm  a new Wherry owner, but not a builder. A Mechanical Engineer, but very little woodwork experience or skills! Some Fglass repairs knowledge/experience.

Wherry recently Brought second hand, hoping for some much needed exercise! NOT competing. Mostly short distances in what can be a fairly choppy tidal estuary.
My H 1.75 m, weight 90kg. Fairly Good upperbody strength... for a 63 yo...

Boat has big river seat and carbon sculls type oars.

My boating usage requires me to travel down stream, approx 1mile, to my larger sailboat. I'd like to be able to use the Wherry as a tender on somedays. Outriggers/slide seat will then be problematic. Propose temporarily removing frame. Easy enough.

I already have some half decent 8ft wood sea oars. OK?

Q. Very similar to last post? I have search3d and have not been able to find any info that answers all of the above. Particularly  the F/A location of risers/rowlocks.
I see side mount rowlock risers available. I think I may as well fit 2 sets, while I'm  about it, to allow for passenger/luggage? 
Side mount type needed?
Obviously height is fixed.
What about fore/aft position relative to seats? This seems to be difficult  to mock up, and is baffling me.

What rowlocks are recommended? The fancy bronze ones will doubtless get stolen hereabouts! The Gaco snap ones seem useful? Assume they are removed, attached to oars?

I have available West System epoxy. How best to fit risers to an existing boat please?
Gunnels are quite fancy finished, 2 pack varnished hardwood (perhaps Mahogany type?)

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice...

Last edited by SimonR (25 Jan 2024 1:48 pm)

Wherry owner, not builder!

#2 26 Jan 2024 9:39 am

Paul
Employee

Re: Wherry - modify bigriver frame to fixed seat "sea oars"

The Wherry can certainly be rowed with fixed rowlocks, indeed, the kit is supplied with a set and the original owner may still have them if he has not fitted them.

Side sockets are best fitted to this boat on risers which are required because of the low freeboard.  Both rowlocks and risers were supplied with the kit.  Close-up photographs of the risers can be seen on our website on the accessories/oars/rowlock-risers page

The oars that you have will be fine for use on the wherry.  The location of the rowlocks are best established by trying various positions whilst on dry land.  The place to start is with them aft of the aft edge of the seat by the distance between your elbow and the tip of your longest finger: more often than not this is the best and most comfortable position.

Rowlocks are down to personal preference and the type of conditions that you are rowing in.  If your seller cannot give you the original rowlocks and risers then please telephone us and we can talk to you about the options available.

I hope that you have many years of pleasure using your boat.

#3 26 Jan 2024 9:48 am

SimonR

Many tanks Paul. Very prompt, and very helpful.

I'll  try to track down the original parts that you mention.
Q. What is supplied as standard?

I've "rowed" many small boats over the years, but nothing like the Wherry, and have never been in a scenario to customise my set up.
However, To date, rowing was something that had to be done when the outboard motor failed (something that is nowadays increasingly frequent, due to poor quality fuels...imho) or there was no wind!

I will call you at some point. Thanks again.

Last edited by SimonR (26 Jan 2024 9:54 am)

#4 26 Jan 2024 11:37 am

Phil
Employee

Hi Simon,

You will find that rowing the Wherry fixed seat you may find your knees getting in the way, so worth having a trial mock up with some risers as you can always increase the riser height to suit.

The Wherry used to be supplied with side sockets and rowlocks, but this has not been the case for several years now as most people will not fit the boat for fixed seat and want to use a sliding rig instead.  So it depends when your kit was originally supplied.  The side sockets and rowlocks are the ones we sell at this link:  https://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/accessor … -rowlocks/

The Gaco rowlocks and sockets will work well for your use as they remain attached to the oars which is handy coming along side.

You may find that the 8' oars are a little on the long side, but given you've already got them I would give them a try.  If the water you are rowing in is a little rough or choppy you may find it easier with them slightly short, so reducing their length is a fairly easy mod to do if needed.  But I would certainly try it with the 8' oars you have.

Feel free to phone us or email us if you want any more details.  We are happy to help.

#5 28 Jan 2024 8:10 pm

SimonR

Very many thanks to you too Phil.

I will try a mock up, then ring/mail.

Board footer